Sunday 3 April 2011

My list of twenty

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a day of reflection and journaling I had attended. As part of it we had to write a list of twenty things we would do/places we would go on an artists date, by ourselves, for the enjoyment of doing something for ourselves. Well I am happy to say I have managed this for the last two weeks. This may not seem momentous but it is having an impact on my week already. I am calmer. I have a cast iron guarantee that there will be some enjoyment in my week. Most of all I have permission to be an important person in my own life.

This may sound like a strange statement but it is quite difficult to find time for self in a schedule crowded with people and commitments. Not that I resent the time I spend on other people - far from it, time spent with and for others is life giving in all ways. It is more that it is easy to become the least important person in your own life as you race around trying to fit everything in. I find it hard to say no to the kids; no I'm not going to do that with you because I am going to do something for myself. If I had a job to do fine, or if something more urgent came up, but prioritising self just because I can, that is much more tricky.

So what have I done so far? Week 1: I took an afternoon nap, plonked the boys in front of a DVD, took a shower and went of  sleep. This may not sound like much to most, but if you consider I didn't sleep in the day even when they were babies, this is a big thing for me. Week 2: I took myself off to the wool shop and bought some wool that I didn't need. Another little step. I am still haunted by my extremely frugal student days where The Sports Star and I existed on next to nothing. When you realise how little you can manage with you start to view 'stuff' and the possession of 'stuff' differently. I have plenty of wool, I have the skill to adapt a pattern to fit the wool I have, so why buy more? Well it was such a pleasure!! And now I have the added pleasure of knitting with it in a week or so when I've finished The Artists hat.

so the list of twenty;
1) An afternoon nap
2) A day trip I have intended to take for ages (first on list the wildflower centre in Liverpool)
3) Go for a coffee
4) Buy some nice underwear
5) Take a singing lesson
6)Take some paints and drawing things to a local beauty spot
7) Go for a bike ride
8) Lie in a meadow on a sunny afternoon
9) Go to a bookshop for a mooch
10) Go to the garden centre and buy a plant
11) Do some colouring/take a pen for a walk
12) Paddle in the sea
13) Play a childhood game (two balls is first on the list)
14) An afternoon of prayer
15) Go to the wool shop
16) Go for a walk with the camera
17) Play guitar for the afternoon
18) Charity shop trawl
19) Mooch round the library
20) Go birdwatching.

Nothing on the list that is going to change the world but it may just make my life a little richer and a pleasanter place to be

2 comments:

  1. oh! Can I come?! (That was a joke!)
    I am very impressed with the buying of the wool. I would like to go for a walk for the pure enjoyment of it, not because I am doing the shopping, or need to exercise my hip. But that may be a long term goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your list, there are many things on there that I would- WILL add to mine.

    Thanks for the invite mate, I am really looking forward to reading your journey.

    I had the revelation a couple of weeks ago re; naps. Initially I felt so guilty for taking one, but I found that when I lay down with Joey to settle him, (he was napping in my bed as his was in chaos), that I would fall asleep.

    I then started to chide myself, because if I was falling asleep my body obviously needed the rest.

    Why is it, that when we are hungry we eat, when thirsty we drink, yet when we are tired we all of a sudden get some kind of guilty hang up?

    Well done you, here's to more success.

    x

    ReplyDelete